DEE takes part in PERPI
Department of Electrical Engineering Chair Asst. Prof. Roderick L. Catriz, a member of the Philippine Energy Research Institute (PERPI) took part in the courtesy visit of the PERPI Executive Board to Sen. Sherwin T. Gatchalian, current Vice Chair of the Senate Committee on Energy.
Senator Gatchalian was the sponsor of the bill that eventually became Republic Act No. 11572 or the Philippine Energy Research and Policy Institute Act. PERPI is an independent institute attached to the University of the Philippines (UP). Primarily, the Institute was created to “conduct pertinent independent multidisciplinary or transdisciplinary energy research and policy development on energy issues.”
PERPI Executive Board members with Sen. Sherwin T. Gatchalian.
The Executive Director is the head of the Institute. The Executive Board, tasked to provide general direction, determine research and policy areas for study and investigation, and provide advice to the Institute on any matter relating to development of policy research, is composed of seven members comprised of the UP President as ex-officio chairperson and at least one representative from the fields of engineering, law, science, statistics, economics, social science, and public health either from the academe or private sector, provided that four members shall come from the academe and two members from the private sector
The members of the Executive Board include:
- UP President Atty. Angelo A. Jimenez, ex-officio chair
- Atty. Jose M. Layug, Jr. (former Department of Energy Undersecretary and Chair of the National Renewable Energy Board, currently the President of the Developers of Renewable Energy for AdvanceMent, Inc. (DREAM), and a professor at UP College of Law and Dean of the University of Makati School of Law
- Atty. Richie Ramos-Pilares (former DOE Assistant Secretary and is currently the Corporate Secretary of DREAM and professor at the Ateneo de Manila School of Law
- Dr. Renato E. Reside, Jr., (Director of Research and Associate Professor at UP School of Economics and an expert in macroeconomics and investment in infrastructure)
- Engr. Melita V. Obillo, (former DOE Director for the Oil Industry Management Bureau, Director of the Energy Planning and Policy Bureau, and an expert in downstream oil and gas)
- Assistant Professor Roderick L. Catriz, DEE Chair and Project Development Associate (PDA) of the UPLB Office of the Vice Chancellor for Planning and Development (OVCPD)
- Engr. Andrea May Caguete, Manager of the Legal Department of the Independent Electricity Market Operator of the Philippines (IEMOP) with expertise in trading operations of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) and DEE alumna
PERPI Executive Board members were present in the Philippine Electric Power Industry Forum 2023.
In the courtesy visit of the Executive Board to Senator Gatchalian, it was discussed that PERPI should be open to collaboration in the conduct of energy research and policy development. | Edward Joseph H. Maguindayao, 29 March 2023
Article was written with inputs from Asst. Prof. Roderick L. Catriz, Republic Act 11572, and https://up.edu.ph/up-president-appoints-experts-to-philippine-energy-research-and-policy-institute/.
Photos from PERPI.